Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Plain and Fancy


In a household of three we can only eat so much cake. Given our current projects there have been quite a few sweets floating through the kitchen. Today I had a hankering for jam cake. Generally speaking that consists of light vanilla cake layers sandwiched together with jam and dusted with powdered sugar. This is not Alex's favorite kind of cake. So I knew that I was going to have to eat most of it myself, never a good idea. Once I mixed up my batter I divided it in half. I baked one plain vanilla layer for my cake, to be glazed with strawberry jam and dusted with sugar. I folded fresh blueberries into the remaining batter and covered the top with crumb topping. The result was the perfect breakfast cake that everyone will enjoy. Two totally different cakes from one batter. Who says cake has to be made in layers?

No comments:

Post a Comment